Controller of Site Safety (COSS) / H&S Site Inspector
Job Title: Controller of Site Safety (COSS) / Health & Safety Site Inspector
Duration: Permanent PAYE
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week ~ Variable across nights and days to suit Inspection region and company needs
Salary: Competitive basic salary
Established in 1997, KH Engineering Services Ltd is one of the UK’s leading providers of mechanical and electrical (‘M&E’) engineering solutions covering the design, management and delivery of services for the rail and wider transport sectors. Our services are typically delivered across five categories; design and survey; M&E installation; lighting installation and testing; bespoke engineering and civil works; and maintenance.
The successful applicant will be working within our HSQE Department to undertake COSS duties across a range of railway-based projects, and pick up site safety inspections as and when required to meet the business needs. You will be confident providing support and advice to management & colleagues relating to Health, Safety, Environmental and Compliance issues whilst working to the highest Health & Safety standards.
- Promoting and developing a safety-first culture within the business
- Personal responsibility for ensuring that you are working in a safe and compliant manner at all times
- Recognise the risks, controls and complexity of the work activity being delivered
- Record any errors found, changes made or lessons learnt in the SWP
- Not allow any work to commence or continue when an adequate safe system of work cannot be established or maintained; or new significant risks have been identified and controls are no longer effective.
- Briefing the work group on planned protection arrangements.
- Ensure the worksite / track is clear of all tools, equipment and materials that have the potential to endanger or disrupt the operational railway.
- Delivering Training & Tool Box talks
- Check all operatives hold appropriate qualifications / license for the activities carried out
- Assisting with audits
- Assist with investigations
- Liaison with clients and enforcement authorities
- Monitoring standards of compliance
- Report Writing
- Ensuring robust risk assessments and method statements are in place for all works being undertaken
- Accountable for ensuring any remedial actions identified are actioned
Due to the complexity of projects that we work on, we are keen to receive applications from candidates:
- Holds PTS-ICI and COSS railway competencies
- Holds NEBOSH or equivalent is desirable
- Experienced & familiar with working in Civil Engineering / rail and safety critical environments.
- Demonstrable commitment & passion to working to the highest Health & Safety standards combined with the personal skills necessary to successfully work within a team of Health & Safety professionals.
KH Engineering Services are part of the M Group where we can offer the following company benefits; Health Insurance, 4x salary life assurance, Company Pension Scheme, Developmental Training, 23 days holiday plus bank holidays, Employee Assistance Programme, Company Van & Fuel Card.